Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Santiago Chile: First Day


Another long flight. But not quite as long as the last, since I flew to Atlanta and then to Santiago. The ATL to SCL leg was just under 9 hours. The Monday I arrived was the 4th day of a 4 day weekend in Chile celebrating its Bicentennial. Pretty big deal for any country, and it was nice because the roads were deserted. As I did on arriving in Buenos Aires, after making my way to the hotel and getting cleaned up and a bit rested I booked a bus tour of the city in the afternoon. It is a terrific was to get some sense of the town if you are going to be somewhere for a while. So below you will find some pictures from the inaugural tour.

The view from my room. The hill behind is Cerro San Cristobal, which will appear later in this post.
View from the rooftop pool. Those are the Andes Mountains with snow on them in the background.
Now on the tour, the mountain in the far background is the tallest in South America, over 20,000 feet. This was taken from atop Cerro San Cristobal
Santiago sits in a valley between the Andes and the Coastal Mountain Ranges. This is looking toward the Financial District, where my hotel is located.
A zoom an SA's tallest peak. If you look in the upper right you will see a glacier near the peak of the mountain.
A view from the other side of Cerro San Christobal, looking to the West.
A tourist in front of the Cathedral in the old downtown square.
Reflection of the old cathedral in a new building.
The Presidential Palace. Used to be the mint for both Chile and Argentina.
An old neighborhood that was built to look very European, which went to blight but is now in a stage of renaissance.
Dancers doing the traditional National Dance. Something about waving a hankie over your head.
Tourist with the dancers.

An interesting building we drove by.

So that was my first day. Santiago is very clean, very modern and quite inviting. It has a good "feel" to it, so I look forward to my next 10 days here.