Monday, September 27, 2010

Downtown Santiago



On Sunday I ventured out on my own and took the subway into Downtown Santiago. The subway was very clean and very modern, and though the signage left something to be desired, I ended up finding my way around pretty well. The big stops on my expedition were Cerro Santa Lucia and Mercado Centro. I also walked by the Presidential Palace where I ran into a large crowd of people engaged in a religious gathering and parade. That was interesting. I'll not belabor this posting with a lot of words, but enjoy the pictures. Cerro Santa Lucia was specatcular!!

Starting my way up Cerro Santa Lucia

The first of what turned out to be many levels

Towards the castle

Almost there!

At the castle level

More gardens

A chapel

Oops!! It keeps going higher!

Finally at the top


The guy that took the hill in the 1500's.


Another view of the chapel


Looking down on the National Archives


The University

Are we in Texas????

Tower reflected in a building

The posters on the columns are the new Lee Jeans ad campaign.

Mercado Centro (Central Market)

One of the many restaurants inside Mercado Centro

Fruits and vegetables at the market.


The open fish market at Mercado

A Lee Jeans poster in a Mall

Monument to something

The religious gathering. The Virgin Mary can be seen in the shed.

Lots of folks!!

The Wall Street of Chile
Neptune at Santa Lucia

I think is the guy atat the other guy took the hill (cerro)from

View from the top