Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Adios, Amigos

On Friday, December 17, 2010, at 6:30PM, Delta Airlines safely delivered me from Mexico City back home to Greensboro. And thus ends the  Extraordinary  Adventure that I have been living these past 6 months. Since early July, I have spent a total of 14 weeks on the road, having visited 12 different cities in 6 countries. And that doesn’t even include our vacation week in Canada in August!! I have had the opportunity to visit and learn about some very interesting and beautiful places, which I have documented in this blog. And have had the opportunity to spend time with many talented people in VF. I hope that the companies that I visited these past 6 months have benefited from my time with them; I know I have learned much from them.
One of the most striking lessons I’ve learned is how rich a culture can be when its roots are measured in the thousands, not hundreds, of years. I have a new appreciation for our many neighbors South of us,  who have variously suffered through much more political instability that we are accustomed to, but who also have a rich heritage of which they are rightly proud.
So thanks to everyone for their generous hospitality during my visits, and thanks to VF for making this all possible. It was, truly, an opportunity of a lifetime.