Friday, November 12, 2010

Mexico City: November 7-12

I've done a poor job of documenting my first week in Mexico City, so will try to catch up here so I'll be ready to post pictures from the adventures planned for the weekend. I arrived in Mexico City last Sunday afternoon, and am staying in a very modern area called Santa Fe. The first two days were mostly spent doing market visits to some of the stores that carry our product. Travel in Mexico City is very slow because of the near constant traffic jam on every highway, but Agustin, the Director of Operations here, managed to get us from place to place as well as possible. Our journey took us into some very interesting areas, and some that I would not want to venture into alone. But I found it all interesting, and Agustin makes a great tour guide and pointed out many interesting sites along the way. Wednesday got off to a shaky start when the car taking me to the office got caught in traffic right behind an accident involving several trucks and even more cars. Before we made our way past the accident, just 50 yards or so short of it, the Police closed the highway. They eventually told everyone within about 100 yards of the accident to leave their cars because of concerns or a possible fumes leak. Fortunately my driver walked me back to an area where he had another car come pick me up and return me to the hotel. I stayed there until noon when Agustin picked me up and we headed to the other side of the city to visit the DC. After visiting the DC we stopped in a charming area called Coyoacan, where we had a nice dinner and then walked around the town plaza. Thursday and Friday morning consisted mostly of meetings, and I did get to interview several of the folks as part of my project. So here are the pictures from the week. I'll have more this weekend.

Flying in, I got a good view of the volcano

Some of Mexico City, on final approach
A view from the rooftop of the hotel, where the spa and pool is.



One of many museums

Guy on a horse, in front of a museum

Temple of San Fransisco

The gold-clad alter in the Temple of San Fransisco

A Day of the Dead display that had been left standing from the prior week.

The Palace of Fine Arts

The Metropolitan Cathedral. The plaza between it and the National Palace was being prepared for a celebration of the Centennial of the Revolution, which will happen this weekend.

The National Palace
Typical street scene in the Zocalo area

Another downtown street scene

The Metropolitan Cathedral

A view from our offices

Stuck in traffic, the accident was just ahead.

Where we lunched on Wednesday, very close to our DC

Another view from the office

The office overlooks the nicest residential area of the city, Bosque de Las Lomas. This house has an impressive yard built on stilts. It is very hilly in this area.

Another large home. Note the tennis court cut into the hill toward the bottom of the picture.
Another view from the office. The constant haze makes for bad visibility, even on a clear day.
So that is it for now!! Check back soon for weekend pictures.